- Allowed social interaction with other birds
- Ample space and shelter, in clean, well ventilated barns.
- Gentle handling to limit stress.
- Freedom to do what comes naturally, like roosting, scratching, and “dust bathing.”
- Nutritious, high-quality feed free of antibiotics or hormones.
- Fresh, pure water whenever they want it.
You can learn more about Certified Humane program on their website at http://www.certifiedhumane.org/.
If you look at our product list, you will see that we also carry cage-free eggs in addition to our organic eggs. To do this, we partner with other small, family farms in Southeast and Central Pennsylvania to raise our Cage-Free hens.
Some of these farms are also considered “Certified Humane.” This means that several of the Alderfer Eggs contract farms are certified under Humane Farm Animal Care, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve the welfare of animals through their Certified Humane® program.
While we strive to ensure humane treatment of our hens at all of our family farms, some of them have taken on the additional process and costs of obtaining the Certified Human certification. Eggs from these farms carry the Certified Humane label on the carton.
“Free-roaming” refers to the fact that our hens are not in cages within the chicken house. Our hens are free to roam around inside the chicken house and produce what is called a “cage-free” egg. Our houses are designed with facilities that promote the bird’s natural behaviors.